A New Jersey girls high school basketball team found a black dummy hanging from its neck by a string in their changing room on Saturday, MyCentralJersey.com reports.
The Plainfield High School team, which comes from a community that is 50 percent African-American, was visiting Arthur L. Johnson High School in Clark, New Jersey, a predominantly White community, the news outlet explained.
Plainfield’s head coach Keshon Bennett
confirmed to MyCentralJersey.com that the dummy was in the changing room when his team arrived to playing the game, which they lost 64-20. After the match ended, they departed quickly.
On the other side, Johnson High School’s coach Joe Marino told the news outlet Saturday afternoon that he was unaware of the incident.
School officials, however, learned about what happened and launched a probe.
“The Clark Board Education and the Clark Community does not condone any demonstrations of intolerance,” said Edward Grande, superintendent of Clark Public Schools. He said the school board will take appropriate action following its investigation.
Johnson High School officials said they are also investigating the incident.
NAACP Calls For Hate Crime Probe After Black Student Claims White Teammates Tied A Noose Around His Neck
Former Ole Miss Student Pleads Guilty To Hanging Noose On Black Statue
16 Most Memorable African-American Olympic Moments (PHOTOS)
16 photos Launch gallery
1. Muhammad Ali Lights The Olympic Torch (1996)
1 of 16
2. Gabby Douglas Makes Gymnastics History (2012)
2 of 16
3. The Dream Team (1992)
3 of 16
4. Black Power At The Mexico Olympics (1968)
4 of 16
5. Jackie Joyner-Kersee Overcomes Injury (1996)
5 of 16
6. USA Women's Basketball Team Wins Seventh Gold (2012)
6 of 16
7. Jesse Owens Crushes Hitler's Aryan Supremacy (1936)
7 of 16
8. Carl Lewis Becomes A Legend (1996)
8 of 16
9. Gail Devers Overcomes Illness (1992)
9 of 16
10. Alice Coachman's High Jump Win (1948)
10 of 16
11. U.S. Boxing Team Brings Home Seven Medals (1976)
11 of 16
12. Michael Johnson Wins Double (1996)
12 of 16
13. John Taylor Becomes The First (1908)
13 of 16
14. Bob Hayes Makes History In The 100m (1964)
14 of 16
15. Dan O'Brien Comes Back (1996)
15 of 16
16. U.S. Boxing Team Wins Big (1984)
16 of 16